January 10, 2019 at 3:18 pm #11730
At last nights Committee meeting it was agreed that the Club should plan and launch an overseas mountain based “expedition” in 2021 to a suitably “exotic” or unusual region.
• AIM. Mountaineer, climb, explore, engage in mountain based activities in a region that Club Members might or could not do without being a part of an organised expedition.
• HIGH LEVEL OBJECTIVES:
o As inclusive as possible.
o Skills and personal development.
o Expedition experience development.
o Growth of knowledge about a less well known region.
o Club profile.
o Development of our sport.
• DETAILED OBJECTIVES. Can be worked up when the region to be visited is decided but could include:
o Exploring a lesser known region.
o Guidebook development/checking.
o New routes or first ascents.
o Repeat ascents or climbs (or walking exploration) where they have not been well travelled, frequented or documented.
o Linking with in-country clubs or enthusiasts.
• PARAMETERS. Some simple parameters will help in area selection.
o Achievable. We don’t need to over-reach to still remain adventurous.
o Affordable. There is no need to match Everest-like costs.
o Inclusive. Within competencies and accepting that members are responsible for themselves there is no reason why age, sex, preference for activity (obviously it must be mountain/climbing based) should be excluded. Some may be able to come and assist with the import support tasks.
o COMMITMENT. There cannot be any passive members in an expedition team from planning through to realisation.
o Time. We have to be realistic. Most people have jobs and a family. The actual expedition may only be 2 to 3 weeks in duration including travel.
• TIMELINE. From experience 2+ years is just sufficient to prepare an expedition, subject to the venue and detailed objectives. Issues to be addressed include:
o Visas and legals eg permits.
o Maps and route information.
o General regional intelligence gathering.
o In country support eg guides and administration.
o Equipment prep.
• at first this can seem daunting but in reality we will be following in others footsteps. Regions that spring to mind include:
o Central Asia – One of the “stans”
o North Africa – Morocco
o North America – Canada
• A great start will be to research the BMC trip and expedition report database plus other sources such as the Alpine Club and UK Climbing.
If you are interested in being a part of this exciting project then let myself or any of the committee members know.
JohnJanuary 11, 2019 at 10:35 am #11732
After a chat last night at the wall I have Dave C, Andrew M and Mat D interested and options opened up to include TurkeyJanuary 11, 2019 at 10:52 am #11733
Very interested and would like to support the project team.
GaryJanuary 11, 2019 at 1:04 pm #11734
That’s great news Gary I’ll start looking at dates etc for those interested to get together for an initial discussion soonJanuary 11, 2019 at 8:11 pm #11739
You do know that Dave will only attend a meeting if he is conned into thinking it is some of gathering involving actual climbing / mountaineering or beer….
… just saying
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.